That was the day our lives changed. After a an unexpected and difficult battle with A.R.D.S., Bebe left this earth and went to her well-decorated mansion in Heaven. I have thought over and over just what I might write that would serve as therapy to help heal this hole in our hearts. Words aren't enough. Bebe's life has forever changed us, and losing her left a sadness that will always be buried within our hearts. To me, she was the best mother-in-law anyone could ask for. Yet, I hurt the most knowing Cooper won't get to grow up having sleep-overs and swim parties with his Bebe that she so longed to organize.
So many memories have flooded my mind since she left her earthly home. I think back to the very first time I met her and Big Daddy. Gary invited me to church. We had not been dating long, but he asked me to come anyway. We got there late (typical for us) and rushed quickly out afterwards. I assume he didn't want his mom to ask too many questions. But even on that first brief meeting, I knew she was something special and that's probably a big part of what made me realize just how special her son is. Her greatest wish was to see her son in church each Sunday. She dressed impeccably, and loved her "bling." So going forward when I wear jewelry, I will proudly think of her. Bebe lived her life to the very fullest, and loved with passion.
Over the years Bebe came to be like a second mom to me. She wanted nothing more than to be my friend, and I hope that she knew she was so much more. She accused me of "glowing" before I even knew I was pregnant. She accompanied me to my first ultrasound, and then bought a picture frame to put the printout in. She bought Cooper his first teddy bear, his first book, his first Bible, first wagon, first swing and so much more. She always said Cooper gave the best hugs, and recently declared out of all her grandkids he favored her the most.
She joined us for his first haircut, first trick-or-treating, and first time at church. She loved picking him up early from school to spend one-on-one time together. She would sneak him down to the creek near their house and throw rocks, swim in the pool or romp through the grocery store. She took him to the park or for long rides in the golf cart. She would rock him on the swing by the pool, and let him sleep in her lap. She taught him to swing and laughed because I would get so nervous at how high she would push him. These memories are like golden treasures now that I will share with Cooper as he grows up. I am so grateful that even though he only knew her for a brief two years, he has so many wonderful memories to hold onto.
I pray that one day God will let me in on His bigger plan. That I will come to have an understanding of why she had to go, and we'll rejoice when we're together again. In the meantime, I will keep her memory alive by cherishing her and living as best as I can to honor her. She filled our lives with love, generosity, fun - and most importantly - she loved God and attempted to share her love for Him.
Bebe left a legacy. I know her legacy lives on through us, and I hope someday we can also leave a legacy as wonderful as hers.
1 comment:
A beautiful tribute to a beautiful lady.
Post a Comment