Tuesday, December 16, 2008

In Memory of Yahoo (aka Pooh-bear)

P1050235
Yahoo passed away peacefully on December 14, 2008 at nearly 9 years old. Yahoo was a small black lab with the biggest heart I've ever known. I guess her heart worked overtime, and needed to get to Heaven so it could move on to bigger things.

This dog came into our lives rather unexpectedly, but she loved us wholeheartedly. I know she felt that same adoration in return. We will truly miss her warm wags and big wet kisses.

Yahoo (not a name we chose) was lovingly nick-named Pooh-bear by our next door neighbor. She knew both names, but rarely came when called by either one. She lived her life with enthusiasm, and never had a bad day. She used to wag her tail so very hard that it literally 'bust' and would bleed at the tip.

One of my fondest memories is from the first camping trip we took her on. I thought by that time she would stay close to my side, so I cautiously unhooked her leash to go for a swim in the nearby creek. Only minutes passed, and Yahoo spotted a group of horseback riders. I literally ran through the entire campground screaming "Yahoo" before she stopped long enough to realize she didn't know who she was following.

Our neighbors fell in love with Yahoo over the years - despite the fact she would steal their baseballs, dog toys and occasional flip-flop. When Cooper was born, she would disappear for long periods of time. Only later did we find out our neighbor was letting her inside to sleep during the day. Our other neighbor let her go for dips in their pool on hot summer days.

Yahoo woke with a huge tail wag every morning. Most mornings I shushed her and reminded her not to wake Cooper. I will miss those big happy greetings in the mornings. And I know Gary will miss the bounce that accompanied her every step as she greeted him in the afternoons. The house is much quieter without her in it.

You are dearly missed Yahoo, but we know you're in a much better place where you feel no more pain.

Gary, Amanda & Cooper

1 comment:

the mama said...

Aww I am so sorry. :( What a beautiful dog. We lost our cat, Frodo, last December. He was barely 5 but we loved that kitty so much. My husband and I still get teary talking about him. It's a very hard thing losing a pet. There are still so many things I miss about him and his personality. Losing your pet is such a hard thing.

*hugs*